Many people suffering from heartburn can achieve relief with simple diet and lifestyle changes. The following are some suggested lifestyle changes to try:
- Lose weight (if you are overweight)
- Eat smaller meals more frequently
- Stop smoking
- Cut down on foods known to aggrevate heartburn such as fatty and fried foods, caffeinated drinks, chocoate, citrus, tomato-based foods and mint flavorings
- Avoid lying down for three hours after eating
- Wear loose-fitting clothing
- Raise the head of your bed six to eight inches
For some people heartburn is an occasional annoyance, but for others, it is a chronic condition that affects their ability to enjoy life. If you are one of those people, help is available.
TIF, Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication, is a minimally-invasive procedure used to treat chronic relfux disease (heartburn).