The surgical removal of the tonsils and adnoids.
- You may be placed on a special diet.
- Drink at least 4-6 (8 ounce) glasses fluid each day.
- Avoid hot drinks and spicy foods for two (2) weeks.
- Begin with liquid diet and on the 2nd day after surgery gradually start adding goods until you can tolerate the diet taken before surgery.
- Avoid drinking orange juice, grapefruit juice and tomato juice for 1 week after surgery.
- Avoid foods with shaper edges or rough textures for two (2) weeks. (example Doritos)
- Avoid using straws for one (1) week after surgery.
- Rest for ten (10) days. NO strenuous activity or exercise (playing ball, swimming, riding bicycle, jogging, cutting wood, etc.).
- Avoid frequent coughing and clearing of throat for ten (10) days.
- Fever less than 101 degrees F is common for 2-3 days after surgery.
Call your doctor if you have any questions or if any of the following occur within 72 hours (3 days) of leaving the hospital:
- Fever of 101 degrees F or above.
- Spitting up more than ½ cup of blood in less than 30 minutes.
- Any bleeding that lasts longer than 30 minutes.
If unable to contact your doctor and feel you have an emergency, go the Emergency Department.