The repair of muscles in a weakened area of the abdomen or umbilical or inguinal ring.
- You may be placed on a special diet.
- Anesthesia may affect your mental and physical abilities. For the next 24 hours:
- Do not drive or operate hazardous machinery.
- Do not make any business decisions.
- Do not be alone or drink alcohol.
- Avoid strenuous activities (aerobic dancing, jogging, cutting wood) or lifting anything heavier than your shoes.
- Remove dressing tomorrow.
- SHOWER ONLY, no tub baths. Do not let water spray directly on incision until healed.
- Elastic hose should be won to promote circulation in the legs and prevent clots from forming. Hose may be taken off twice a day while resting for 30 minutes or when they need to be washed. Elastic hose may be discontinued when full normal activities are resumed.
- Keep bowel movements soft by drinking at least eight (8) glasses of water a day.
Contact your doctor if any of the following occurs:
- Fever of 101 degrees F or above.
- Pain not relieved by pain medicine ordered by doctor.
- Drainage from incision site that saturates more than one dressing in 24 hours.
- Increase in redness and swelling at incision site if more than when discharged from hospital.
- Discoloration (blueness or redness), swelling, numbness of toes in the affected leg.
If unable to contact your doctor and feel you have an emergency, go the Emergency Department.